Thursday, July 14, 2011

Running My Brains Out

Oh boy, did I get myself into trouble today.

Daisy came in earlier this evening and flopped down next to me on the couch as she said "Mom, I just ran my brains out."

"Oh yeah?" I said, as I thought to myself, "Hey, I haven't worked out or gotten any exercise in today, maybe I should go run with her."   You see, Ryan and I both challenged each other to do certain things every day while he is in Oklahoma this month.  One of the things I'm supposed to be doing is working out.

And so, naively, I said, "Want me to run my brains out with you?"

"What do you mean?" she asked wearily, head still down on the couch.

"I mean, you take me running. I'll go wherever you go."

Can we say bad idea?  One second ago, she had been red-faced, panting, and thrown herself onto the couch, completely worn out. The very instant the words came out of my mouth, she suddenly popped up, refreshed, rejuvenated and ready to run.

I should have known then I had asked for more than I bargained for. Before we even got to the door, Braelin had his running shoes ready and was planning on going with us. Carolina was begging to come too.

"No, you take me running tomorrow okay?"

Second mistake. Boy, was I digging myself in deeper.

Daisy took off running out the door, out the gate, and around the corner. She booked it to the back gate, onto the driveway, and around to the front yard.  Before we even got one lap around the house, I was ready to quit.

Let me explain something. I never run. I hate to run!  What had I gotten myself into?!!  

She got a little gleam in her eye as she realized that I hadn't limited her to the yard and took off down the street. I tried my best to keep up with her, failing miserably evidently, because every so often she would stop and wait for me to catch up before taking off again.

This little girl had moments ago been lying on the couch, barely able to move, panting as though she would pass out any moment. Now, she was sprinting down the street as though she had trained for this all year. And that's when I realized - she had. She had been running every day at school for a year. They require the kids to run around the track three times, and though she always complained about it, she did it.

Miss Daisy - Summer 2011
There was no way she would be stopping anytime soon.

I puffed and panted, my face growing redder with every step.  I finally talked her into running to our friends house a couple blocks away, thinking then I could sit and rest a bit before talking her into running home.

No luck. Sheila wasn't home, and off we ran again. She turned right, then left, then right again, turned the corner a couple blocks down, and started headed farther west, farther away from home.

"Wait!" I cried. "The splash park is this way. Want to run to the splash park?" At this point I'm trying anything to get her to head back toward home instead of farther away.  Luckily, she agrees that the splash park would be fun, and off we go.  The closer we get, the more inviting the water looks. I'm hot, tired, and ready to go back home. She takes my hand and we run through the streams of water spraying in every direction, giggling as we went.  Yay!  She'll want to go home next, right?

Wrong.

"No Mom, I want to go 6 more places, because I'm six years old." Places. As in stores. She wants to run to stores. Like Lin's Supermarket, 11 blocks down. Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

By this point, I'm bribing her. Ice cream. A movie. Yes, I admit it. It was pathetic. But her pace hasn't slowed a bit, and I'm sure she would have no problem jogging the 11 blocks to the grocery store without breaking a sweat. Can you blame me?

We finally made it home, her teasing me the whole way that I really "walked my brains out and didn't run!" Who greets us at the doorway?  Braelin, Carolina, Taliesin, and Tyler... all reminding me that they each get to take me running too.

Oh boy. I AM in trouble. But maybe I'll also get in shape....

Wish me luck!  And if you see me running behind one of my kids this week, red faced and panting -- feel free to laugh... after you hand me a cold bottle of water.

- Rachel

7 comments:

  1. Dawn Krediet BerkleyJuly 14, 2011 at 10:22 PM

    "Loved today's blog! And Daisy is adorable :)"

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I Love your blog! Keep up the good work...and the running!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnnMaree MontgomeryJuly 14, 2011 at 10:39 PM

    "I love it! And you win Mother of the Year. I wouldn't have gone LOL."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha Ha! Although in all seriousness, this is a good idea... I think I might try it to motivate me to run. <3 you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog always makes me smile(or cry!) I bet she will remember you actually running with her the rest of her life!! What a fun memory to make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sally Eves WhitakerJuly 15, 2011 at 8:05 AM

    Rachel, I've never seen your blog before... I love it, hope you don't mind if I read it. I love the running story! That's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! I love this post!! I often "run my brains out", although I've never heard this expression before, but I sure am going to use it ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...